It’s been a while since I took part in a Top Ten Tuesday, so I thought today I would take part! Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018.
This weeks topic is resolutions or hopes for 2021. I have already touched on some of my reading and blogging resolutions for 2021 (you can read it here), so I thought I would take a slightly different approach with this one and talk about my writing goals for 2021.
- I want to become more consistent with my writing. I used to be constantly writing, no matter my mood, no matter the format – I would just be constantly writing. Because I would be constantly writing (good or not) it would eventually turn into inspiration that I could use for my main work in progress (WIP), so I would really love to get back to this point.
- On the back of that – I want to journal more too. In about April/May of 2020, there was a short period where I was consistent in journaling. I really felt like this helped me, not only with my writing and feeling more inspired to work on my WIP, it also helped me with my mental health and of course that is important too.
- Outline my WIP – I have been really free writing with my WIP. I have this vague idea and a really strong main character, but I need to admit that I need to do a little planning and thinking about where this story is going.
- Stop writing the same sections of and over again. I am the opposite of most writers – I love editing. I always really struggle getting my initial thoughts onto the page and really underwrite the first time round, but when I start editing is really where I start to tell the story. But, I get caught up editing and never really move forward – so I need to move forward.
- Improve my descriptive writing. I was in a writing slump while I was at university, and during that time I feel like I lost my ability to write descriptions – this was something I started fixing during NaNoWriMo 2020, and it is something I would love to continue working on in 2021!
- I would really love to start working on a retelling! I love retellings, and I have always wanted to write my own. I think it’s too ambitious to say I would like to write one in 2021, but I would love to at least figure what story I will base my retelling on – I have so many ideas.
- On the back of that – write down all of my ideas! I used to be so on it when it came to noting down all of my ideas, but I fell out of it for whatever reason. I really need to get back into the habit so that I don’t lose too many of my ideas.
- Continue being consistent with poetry. Even when I was in my writing slumps, poetry was always something that I was consistent at – the notes on my phone are full of scraps of poems! I would love to continue this, if only to document the bigger things happening in the world.
- A little way off, but I would like to take part in NaNoWriMo again this year! It was my first time taking part in 2020 and I really enjoyed it. I think it really propelled into writing again
- By the end of 2021, I would love to have at least 80,000 words for my WIP or a finished draft, whatever comes first. This one is a huge commitment for me, because like I said before, I have really been struggling with keeping consistent. Hopefully I can do it!
What are your writing resolutions for 2021?